Wednesday, November 19, 2008

November 19: Car Seat Test

Keelan status now is:
1994 grams (aprox. 4 pounds 5.5 ounces)
passed most of her discharge tests but one-the nomogram
will remain at the hospital for a few more days
was given her hepatitis shot
need her RSV
needs a pediatrician
closer to come home!

November 18
We brought in the car seat to the NICU-Intermediate Nursery. We bought- well my Mom bought us- a Chicco Key Fit 30 car seat (high consumer report ratings), we were excited. This meant that Keelan was closer to come home with us. Well, not quite like that. After arriving to the hospital yesterday evening we realized that Keelan was "unreachable", she was being tested and had all sort of lines, cables, tape and what have you on her body. She was getting a "nomogram"(hope I spell this correctly). So, during the test is best not to disturb the baby so the results as a accurate as possible. Needless to say were kind of sad, at the same time, we know that she will be home soon but we were not able to hold her yesterday. Since the room was full and busy we decided to go back home- it felt terrible.
November 19:
Today, we went to the hospital at an earlier time. Lats night William could not sleep at all, I tossed a bit but woke up at 5am. As I was saying, we woke up this morning with the feeling hopeful she might come home, so we cleaned the house a bit more and organized her co-sleeper. Wash the sheets and all fabric that goes in the co-sleeper. Once the task was completed, we were off to the hospital. Hope was the word of the day. Keelan was still as sleep in her crib, so peaceful, so pretty, so innocent. We meet with the Doctor, who informed us about her status, so far so good, until were informed about the results of nomogram--not good. or at least not what we hope it would be. She has to stay a few more days due to an "apnea" incident. So, a few more days it is. Dad is heart broken as he was looking forward to have her at home tonight. She is back on "caffeine" and once home she will be monitored, at least for until she is 44 to 46 weeks old.
We are not thrill with the idea but given the circumstances it is best to look at the situation with an open mind. She had received the best care possible at the hospital. To jeopardize that at his time will be foolish, so we can wait a few more days-piece of cake.
Tonight, even with all the positive thinking, it is difficult to leave her behind.
--------------
Francis writes: "My selfish mind will say to me that is a good time to rest and have to myself, my motherly mind overrides that selfish thought and reminds me that she is all I want. Keelan is wanted and loved. I can not wait to have her home. She will be loved, cherished, and care for. Every day no matter how tired I feel I look forward to have her here and I look forward to see her grow, I look forward to share my life experiences with her. Plain and simple, she is a precious gift to me.

No comments: